17 January 2010

Stomach Bug and Numbers


Last night I called my Crankskins team members; Manuel, Scott and Adam and made plans to meet them at the Y at 11:00 for our  thirty five minute bike ride followed by an hour run outside. Things don't always go according to plan. Last night Julian came down with the stomach bug and was up all night. I am the only one in the family who has managed to somehow miraculously escaped the stomach bug. Still, I am keeping my fingers crossed the next couple of days.


Alaina had a three hour rehearsal today, so I called up everyone this morning and told them I was not going to be able to make it. I was especially bummed out because it would have the first time we have all ran together since training for the Musselman Half Ironman last season. After July, we were all busy training for different races, except for Adam and I who ran the same triathlon to end our seasons. This year, we are all training for the Rev3 Iron Distance Triathlon at Cedar Point. Needless to say, I spent the day at home hanging out with the kids, playing games and making sure Julian felt better. It ended up being a great morning and afternoon. I spent the morning and early afternoon playing Spiderman Memory, building a LEGO AT Walker, and making some pretty delicious penne with shrimp if I do say so myself. Adam came by after his workout at the Y and brought me some nutrition for my run later (what a great training partner.)


After putting all the kids down for their naps, Luca accompanied me on his bike for my hour run. It was great fun for both of us! Early on, he kept asking me "Daddy, are you okay?  Do you need some of my water from my water bottle?" This was after I had only run a mile. Missing the training run with my teammates stunk at first, but I let me spend some time with Luca getting some exercise.


A 6:00 a.m. swim scheduled tomorrow to begin week three, then off to the office to write some music.


And now, some numbers: 


Number of yards I could swim without stopping four years ago:    75
Number of yards I've swam since 3 January 2010: 12,800


Number of children I had when I started my PhD: 1
Number of children I had when I finished my course work: 5


Number of times daily someone calls for "Daddy:"  175
Number of times daily someone calls for "Mommy:"  6 billion


Number of CD's I own: 300
Number of CD's I've purchased since 2007: 10


Number of times I've watched Star Wars: 20+
Number of times I've seen Godfather: 0





Number of Ironman Races I have attempted: 0
Number of days until my first Ironman: 237







6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you won't get the bug!! Glad you were still able to get the run in.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Well you know, you picked a good IM race. Since IM spectating consists of about 2 minutes of viewing during a 12 hour plus race (0.3%), the family can be riding the rides at Cedar Point in between viewings. Only problem is the cost of doing so for 6 is about equal to the entry fee....

Julie said...

You've never seen The Godfather, and you call yourself Italian?

Anne said...

I think you got the better end of the deal, all said and done. Sometimes those unexpected days make for the best times, plus biking with your little one is such a great way to spend time together!

Medievalist said...

I hope the family is feeling better. Glad playtime was fun. Sorry we didn't get to meet up today. Saw Adam while he was lifeguarding. I got my 1000 yards in, plus lifting. About to start my firt 50+ mpw. Will be writing about it for sure - 13 mile track workout tomorrow all in all. See you April!

Tri To Do It All said...

You have never seen The God Father. I hope you at least had a chance to read the book.